Friday, July 2, 2010

It's Nobody's Fault But Mine

- Blind Willie Johnson













Tom Feldmann - National Reso-Phonic guitar/vocals

Lyrics

It's nobody's fault but mine
Nobody's fault but mine
If I die and my soul be lost
Nobody's fault but mine

I have a bible in my home
I have a bible in my home
If I don't read it my soul be lost
Nobody's fault but mine

It's nobody's fault but mine
Nobody's fault but mine
If I die and my soul be lost
Nobody's fault but mine

My mother she taught me how to pray
Mother she taught me how to pray
If I don't pray and my soul be lost
Nobody's fault but mine

It's nobody's fault but mine
Nobody's fault but mine
If I die and my soul be lost
Nobody's fault but mine

------------------------------------------------

Willie Johnson was born January 22, 1897 in Texas.  When he was five, he told his father he wanted to be a preacher, and then made himself a cigar box guitar. 

Johnson was not born blind but how he became blind is unknown. While Johnson's lyrics of all of his songs were religious, his music drew from both sacred and blues traditions.  

He made 30 commercial recordings in five separate sessions for Columbia Records from 1927–1930.  On 14 of his recordings he is accompanied by his first wife, Willie B Harris or an as-yet-unidentified female singer.

 "Nobody's Fault But Mine" is a tremendously popular and much covered song. I learned it from the Soul of a Man disc put out in 2004.

Interesting note: Johnson's "Dark Was The Night, Cold Was the Ground" was included on the Voyager Golden Record, sent into space with the Voyager spacecraft in 1977. 

Johnson remained poor until the end of his life, preaching and singing in the streets of Beaumont, Texas to anyone who would listen.

In 1945, his home burned to the ground. With nowhere else to go, Johnson lived in the burned ruins of his home, sleeping on a wet bed. He lived like this until he contracted pneumonia two weeks later, and died.

More info on Blind Willie Johnson

No comments: