Friday, July 2, 2010

The Lord Will Make A Way

- Fred McDowell






















Tom Feldmann - National Reso-Phonic guitar/vocals
Paul Liebenow - Upright Bass
Jed Staack - Drums

Lyrics

I know the Lord will make a way. Oh yes He will
I know the Lord will make a way. Oh yes He will
The Lord is my shepherd, the Lord is my guide, everthing I need, the Lord supplies
I know the Lord will make a way . Oh yes He will

I have a Savior that I can tell my troubles to
When I don’t know just what to do
I go to God in secret prayer and I just leave my burdens there
I know the Lord will make a way. Oh yes He will

I know the Lord will make a way. Oh yes He will
I know the Lord will make a way. Oh yes He will
The Lord is my shepherd, the Lord is my guide, everthing I need, the Lord supplies
I know the Lord will make a way . Oh yes He will

------------------------------------------------

Fred McDowell was born in 1904 in Tennessee, moved to Memphis in 1926 and finally settled in Como, MS in 1940 or 1941 where he worked steadily as a farmer.

He was first recorded in 1959 by Alan Lomax and Shirley Collins and actually may be considered the first of the bluesmen from the North Mississippi region to achieve widespread recognition for his work.

"I Know the Lord Will Make A Way" was recorded twice. One appears on Amazing Grace, a record made with members of his church, Hunter's Chapel, and another version appears on My Home is in the Delta.


They are different versions. My Home is in the Delta, released in 1964, has McDowell's wife, Annie Mae taking the vocals while Fred accompanies on slide guitar. The version on Amazing Grace, released in 1966, is Fred solo on vocals/guitar and he allows the slide guitar to finish off the verses rather than sing them, a common technique of McDowell's.

One reason I like McDowell is that he mixed spirituals and the blues together on his recordings and in his live performances. Never denouncing or denying one or the other. 

Fred McDowell, more commonly known as Mississippi Fred McDowell, died of cancer in 1972.


No comments: